The Volunteer Organization at Abilene Regional is a very important part of our hospital. Our volunteers are various ages who freely give their time, energy and talents in serving and supporting the hospital, its patients and families, visitors, medical staff and the general public. The scope of services also includes fund-raising projects that contribute to the needs of the hospital, patients and community, including tuition reimbursement scholarships and more.
The office of the volunteer services director is located at 6150 Regional Plaza across from the Women's Center. Contact the coordinator at 325-428-4953.
Currently, there are 90 volunteers helping throughout the hospital with various duties. In 2005, the Volunteer Services Department provided approximately 14,750 hours of service. Their duties may range from greeting, directing and assisting visitors at the Lobby desks at the main entrance and at the Abilene Regional Women's Center entrance, escort visitors or family members to various locations, filing, typing, answering the telephone, running errands, assisting with special projects, responding to family queries and needs in waiting rooms, locating a Chaplain when necessary and much more.
Some volunteers work in the Gift Shop where some profits and sales provide funds for Tuitition Reimbursement Scholarships for those individuals pursuing their education in the medical field. Also, the volunteers help with projects directly related to patient comfort and care including providing toys, handmade blankets for newbordsfor pediatrics and the emergency room for ill children.
Pet Therapy Program
Abilene Regional also has a successful Pet Therapy Program. Our program continues to grow and expand with over 10 four-legged volunteers! Click on the link for more information.
Becoming A Volunteer
To become a Volunteer at Abilene Regional...
1. Complete an application and send the form to:
Director of Volunteer Services
Abilene Regional Medical Center
6250 Hwy 83/84
Abilene, TX 79606
2. Make an appointment with the Director for an interview. Once approved, the following are required:
- Complete Ethics/Compliance session and read Triad Policies Booklet
- Have a TB skin yeast (free) and follow up
- Complete training for assignment/department, sign in procedure, etc.
- Have ID photo taken for badge
- Once above is completed, see Director of Volunteer Services to pick up Volunteer jacket, photo badge, meet supervisor of assigned area and begin on start date.
Most Volunteers hours are scheduled 8 a.m. - 12 noon and/or 12 noon - 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Some volunteers work on special projects, not shift hours, but actual time is determined by the type of assignment resulting from need and/or volunteer's interests, abilities or talents.
Departments currently being served by the Volunteers:
- Lobby Desk at Main Entrance (2 to a shift)
- Abilene Regional Women's Center Lobby Desk
- Receptionist for Waiting Rooms in ICU, Out-Patient/Day surgery
- Patient Relations (delivering newspapers)
- Menus (deliver and pickup)
- Nursery/Pediatrics (limited need)
- Senior Circle
- Clerical, in numerous departments: Marketing, Lab, Women's Center Diagnostic Imaging Center, Dietetics, ER, Pharmacy, Infection Control & Ethics-Compliance, transporting patients and assisting Admissions Department.
Benefits for Volunteers
- One (1) free meal for every 4 hours worked (ID badge required)
- Volunteer Jacket
- Volunteer Recognition Awards: Hourly, Yearly, other
- Volunteer Appreciation brunch or lunch
Plus: Gain a sense of purpose and meaning with...
Opportunities to give attention and help meet the needs of others and Abilene Regional Medical Center. Make new friends in a pleasant, friendly atmosphere and increase physical and mental well being by working and serving the community.